Why is Crooks so mean to Lennie during the middle of part 4?

In the beginning of part 4, Crooks does not welcome Lennie to his room. I think that Crooks was so standoffish to Lennie because he was used to being lonely. After Lennie asked why Crooks wasn't wanted Crooks complained, "Cause I'm black. They play cards in there, but I can't play because I'm black. They say I stink. Well, I tell you, all of you stink to me" (68). Most likely Crooks was so used to being lonely that he was used to not being with others. He also probably grew some anger at others because of this. It must have just become a habit for him with all of the time he spent alone. When someone spends that much time alone, they just aren't used to being around other people. He probably wasn't used to someone just barging into his room and spending time with him, so he was a little mean to Lennie.

What do you think about why Crooks was mean to Lennie? Any other reasons?

Comments