Why did Lennie have the hallucinations? How did they make him feel?

As we know, Lennie had to flee in order to escape from death. While he was in the brush like George said he started to experience hallucinations. I believe Lennie had these hallucinations because he was so worried. After killing Curley's wife Lennie solidified that there was no more chance of tending the rabbits. The rabbits were the one thing that kept Lennie motivated. Now that that opportunity is out the window Lennie is just a hot mess. On top of that he is getting yelled at but Aunt Clara. She reminds him about how much George has done for him and how he has messed everything up. Aunt Clara makes him feel like he is worthless and that he is just George's burden. After a certain point of the rant Lennie loses his marbles "I tried, Aunt Clara, ma'am. I tried and tried" (101). When the rabbit hallucination came along it demeaned Lennie past the breaking point. Lennie to me just feels hopeless. All of his hope and passion for a dream, crushed by a rabbit hallucination. Overall Lennie is just helpless. He feels useless and like a burden. He has no more hope, and his dreams are thrown out the window. Lennie knows he has failed Aunt Clara, and worst of all George.


Why do you think Lennie had his hallucinations?

Comments

  1. I really liked your blog. There are just a couple of things that I believed about the last chapter. First, Lennie was fleeing because George told him if he did anything bad, then he would need to go to the brush and hide there until George found him. When Lennie started hallucinating, Aunt Clara was the one who was telling him that it wasn't his fault and that he needs to try and make the right decision. The rabbit was actually the one who was telling him that it was all his fault. Otherwise, I really thought your blog was good. You portrayed your idea very well and I learned from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment