Why did George kill Lennie instead of running away with him

I think that George killed Lennie because he knew that if he didn't do it then somebody had to. He wanted to do it himself so that somebody else didn't, I also think that he did it because he thought that if he didn't have to lug around Lennie he would have a good life and not have to cover for Lennie all the time. He states "'If George don't want me ... I'll go away'"(100). This means that Lennie will run away and I think George knows that Lennie can't live on his own. George thinks that Lennie would cause even more trouble and eventually get himself killed. So George was doing every body including Lennie a favor.

Does anybody else have any Reasons?

Comments

  1. I agree with you, Owen, and I also think that George wanted to save Lennie from getting his self killed. If he ran away with Lennie, he would keep getting into trouble wherever he went. Not only will they be outcast everywhere, but they wouldn't have anywhere to live or anything to eat and drink. Lennie would just keep getting in more and more trouble.
    Along with that, I also think that George knows that the ranchers will find him if they run. George already told them that "he-would've went south" (97). Up North, Lennie was already wanted. George knew he just couldn't run with Lennie without getting caught. To hear more about what I had to say about this topic, read my blog post "George and Lennie: The Big Ending".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea and you gave a lot of evidence. The reason why I think George did it because if he would have ran with him and if they got caught they both would probably get lynched. Anther reason why George shot him was because he also he felt sorry for Lennie and that his own life would be great if he didn't have to worry about Lennie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment