what made Lennie do what he did?

In chapter 5, we see that Lennie had killed Curley's Wife because she screamed, but why would that be a motive. When he is doing this he is always mentioning how he wants to "tend to the rabbits" (89). I feel that he doesn't actually mean it, and that it could be a metaphor for something else. It could mean that he will be leaving and owning a farm, or he could be literally tending rabbits. But when he is talking to her and she screams, he kills her, he mentions how he doesn't want her to scream, causing attention to him in the barn. In conclusion, Lennie must have really wanted to tend to those rabbits, or is he just imagining.

Comments

  1. Good Job Ishan! I think that Lennie killed Curley's wife out of fear. He knew he was on the last straw with George, and any attention would be a negative. Out of desperation and just shock he killed her. I don't think he meant any harm by it, I think he just really wanted to live his American dream with George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ishan. This is a really good post and shows a different point of view from what many people probably thought, but I do disagree with some of the stuff you wrote in the blog. Lennie accidentally killed Curley's wife. There wasn't really any motive explained in the story. He had his hand over her mouth while she was screaming and shook her to make her stop. That is when he killed her. He instantly realized what he did and panicked because he really did want to tend to the rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Work Ishan
    I really liked to see your point of view on a topic that many people are doing. I agree with your idea that Lennie killed Curley's Wife because she was screaming. Adding on to your statement, I think that Lennie killed her by accident when trying to muffle her scream. I think that Lennie did not realize what he did until he saw her dead. I also like how you think that when Lennie says "tending the rabbits" he means something else. Like you said, I think that it could mean getting his own land and "tending" for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I believe he literally wants to tend to the rabbits because he has mentioned it several times. Also, when he was trying to keep her from screaming, he was telling her that she better stop because '"If George sees me talkin' to you he'll give me hell" Lennie said cautiously, "He tol' me so" (87).' I believe Lennie was saying this because he thought George was always mad at him for doing something bad, and didn't want to get in trouble for this so he couldn't '"tend to the rabbits" (89).' Maybe if Lennie knew this then he would have been more relaxed, and wouldn't have gotten in as much trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment