The Relationship Between Curley, His Wife, and Slim.
Curley v. Slim; Scare or Be Scared
As I read the book more and more, I get a better understanding of their relationship. It makes me really realize what type of person Curley is, and what type of person his wife is. Knowing that Curley's wife has the "eye" on many people, that may show signs of her cheating or moving on to another guy, causing trouble. Curley obviously can see this also. He is constantly looking for his wife, and for some reason, she is always looking for him. This may cause a controversy later on. Curley notices that his wife also looks at Slim. This is why Slim and Curley have a large conflict on page 62. Slim gets frustrated at Curley because he is always coming to him when it comes to his wife. This is why he says "Well, you been askin' me too often. I'm getting **** sick of it. If you can't look after your own **** wife, what you expect me to do about it? You lay offa me." (62)
Although Curley may be arrogant, he still isn't confident enough to fight Slim. He shows remorse when after confronting Slim by saying, "I'm jus' tryin' to tell you I didn't mean nothing." (62) Carlson can also sees how Curley is intimidated by Slim when saying, "You tried to throw a scare into Slim, an' you couldn't make it stick. Slim throwed a scare inta you."(62)
This is what I think about the relationship of Curley, Slim, and Curley's wife. What do you think about the relationships in Of Mice and Men?
Although Curley may be arrogant, he still isn't confident enough to fight Slim. He shows remorse when after confronting Slim by saying, "I'm jus' tryin' to tell you I didn't mean nothing." (62) Carlson can also sees how Curley is intimidated by Slim when saying, "You tried to throw a scare into Slim, an' you couldn't make it stick. Slim throwed a scare inta you."(62)
This is what I think about the relationship of Curley, Slim, and Curley's wife. What do you think about the relationships in Of Mice and Men?
It is very refreshing to read your article about something that most people did not account of. I like how you focused on Slim's conflicts with Curley, instead of Lennie's conflicts with Curley. I agree that there will probably be conflicts later on in the books due to Curley's wife having "the eye". I think that the conflict between all these characters at that none of them really get along. It is almost like a never ending war. All the character are fighting against Curley but can not win. This is due to Curley being the bosses son. I feel like Curley also knows who to make the ther character mad. Kinda like a younger sibling, but he has a lot of power.
ReplyDelete