The fight between Lennie and Curly
I think that Curly's temper was maxing out as he was looking for his wife and he mistook Lennie's laugh as a laugh directed at him. Lennie was smiling as he was thinking about the ranch and it had nothing to do with Curly. Curly also does not like tall people because it makes him feel small and he is the one who started the fight. Lennie held back until George said, "Get 'im, Lennie!" Lennie still held back until George yelled at him again when he saw Lennie's bloodied face, "I said get him (63)." Then Lennie crushed Curly's fist as Curly was hitting him. Lennie was upset afterwards because he did not want to hurt Curly.
So just who do YOU think started the fight?
I Think that what you said about Curley was correct, I think another reason is that Curley needed something to show the ranch who's boss. Fighting Lennie makes him look like a big guy even though Lennie is a very vulnerable person. Like you said laughing I think pushed Curley over the edge. I think Lennie was just scared and in that fear he didn't know what to do so he just held onto something. Although I do think that Curley deserved what he got, I wonder if this event will change the outcome of the future.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said. I think Curley started the fight. He obviously mistook Lennie's laughed for something it wasn't and he started fighting him for it. Curley asked why Lennie was laughing and the fact that Lennie didn't understand his question was what made Curley mad.
ReplyDeleteI think that the fight was definitely started by Curley, but it didn't get serious until Lennie went in and completely took it to another level. I acknowledge that it was Curley's fault, but the fact that he smashed his face in on the floor was a little overkill in my opinion
ReplyDelete