Part 5/6 ~ Why does George steal Carlson's gun and shoot Lennie instead of running away with Lennie?

I believe George really cared for Lennie and knew that Lennie did not mean to harm Curley's wife. George said "Lennie never done it in meanness"(95). However, I feel George realized he could not always be with Lennie and protect him. I think George knew running would not be right. Everyone would be looking for them and they would not get very far running. I believe George did what he thought was best for Lennie. He reassured Lennie by saying "No, Lennie. I ain't mad. I never been mad, and I ain't now. That's a thing I want ya to know" (106). George shot Lennie while describing how they would "live on the fatta the lan'" (105) with the rabbits. By doing this, George saved Lennie from getting shot by Curley in the gut which would have been excruciating.

Comments