Lennie in Part 5/6

Part five and six is a very exciting and is my favorite parts of the book. In part five and six Lennie is the main character. The first thing that happened is Lennie accidentally killed Curley's Wife. Again Lennie's obsession of petting things gets him in trouble. Lennie was stroking Curley's Wife's hair and did not let go. This caused Curley's Wife to scream. This incident is similar to the incident before in Weed with the young girl and Lennie. But this time Lennie accidently snapped Curley's Wife's neck. He did this when trying to dampen the sound of her screaming. I think that Lennie tried to dampen her screaming instead of letting go because he was worried that George would hear it. Lennie did not want to do anything bad because he was afraid, "George [was] gonna say [he] did a bad thing. He ain't gonna let [him] tend no rabbits" (91). The second thing that happened was Lennie having visions. Lennie was having hallucinations of his Aunt Clara. I think that he was having hallucinations of Aunt Clara because he has always had that voice inside of him telling him to do the right thing. In this scene we learn we learn that that voice was his Aunt Clara. I think that Lennie is very sorry for not listening to the voice inside of him. Therefore he apologizes to his Aunt Clara. Lennie also has a hallucination of a rabbit. I think that this is Lennie mocking himself with a rabbit. Lennie has always wanted to tend the rabbits but now he can't because of his poor decisions.

What our your thoughts on Lennie's decisions in part 5 and 6?

Comments

  1. Part 5 and 6 did include lots of action and exciting moments. It was very horrifying to find out that Lennie killed Curley's wife. It was sad because Lennie was held hostage to his addiction to touching. In this case it spun out of control and caused him trouble. Lennie did make some poor decisions due to his hallucinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with just about everything you mentioned. But one thing I would say is that "Lennie's other hand closed over her mouth and nose" (91). He did that because he wanted her to be quiet but he panicked and did that. He tried to coax her and tell her to stop yelling but he ended up suffocating her. He then tossed her dead body in rage and snapped her neck in the process. Also, yes he did start to hallucinate seeing his Aunt Clara and the rabbit. This most likely happened due to shock or stress. But the voice part is something I didn't think about. He keeps repeating the right choice and he never really seems to know what the right one is. Lennie might also struggle with schizophrenia and a mental disability. I believe this because of the things he does and how he acts in certain situations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment