How do you think George felt after killing Lennie?

Hello Class of 2023!  One of the things I found most interesting in part 6, was how George felt and reacted after killing Lennie.  For example, in part 4 George "shivered and looked at the gun, and then he threw it from him, back up on the bank, near the pile of old ashes" (106).  I think this reaction from George means that he is in deep shock from killing Lennie.  This is probably because Lennie has been with George for such a long time, and Lennie was also very close to George.  Even though George hates some things and characteristics about Lennie, he gets used to them in a matter of time.  In other words, as the time aspect of the relationship between George and Lennie gets under weigh, it makes George's job to kill Lennie much harder.  If you killed your own close friend, then how would you feel?   I would feel shocked just like George because I would hate to kill a close, loved one.



Comments

  1. I think that you were right about George feeling really saddened by this event, but it seems as though George wanted to do it. Around the book you can see that he really doesn't enjoy his presence when he is with Lennie , but he also doesn't want him to leave due to them being so close to each other. In the end, it seemed that killing Lennie was like ripping a band-aid off for George and that he wanted to leave and start anew.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment