Crooks, and the Relationship Between Other Characters

Crooks is a very self protective character. I think that this because he is treated unfairly due to Jim Crow laws. Crooks likes to have some rights, "'A colored man got to have some rights" (82). Due to Curley being African American he does not get along with most characters. Curley does get along with most characters because they always invade his personal space. Crooks does not like people in his room, "'You got no rights comin' in a colored man's room" (80). Crooks gets along pretty well with Slim. I assumed this because back in part 3 Crooks made the tar for Slim right when he asked. Crooks also gets along with Lennie pretty well. Crook says that, "'Lennie's a nice fella" (82). Crooks obviously does not get along very well with Curley's Wife. When Crooks talked back to her she said, "'Well, you keep your place then, n*****. I could get you strung up on a tree so easy it ain't even funny. Even when Crooks is targeted with racism he stays relaxed and does not freak out. I think that Curley's Wife is a rasis and does not respect Crooks. Straying from Crooks I do not think that Curley, and his wife really get along. It seemed like she was ok with them busting up his hand, and I think this has to do with her having  "the eye" on other people on the farm.

Comments