Crooks and His Life on the Ranch.

Loneliness on the Ranch

In Of Mice and Men Part 4, we get to see the perspective of the stable buck, Crooks. He is an African American that lives by himself in the harness room. He keeps this room neat and clean. Crooks is not allowed to go in the bunkhouse. This is because he is African American, and back then segregation still occurred. I could tell that he didn't feel wanted at the ranch because he wasn't respected. This is why when Lennie walked in, he said, "'I ain't wanted in the bunkhouse, and you ain't wanted in my room'" (68). He also told Lennie, "'They say I stink. Well, I tell you, all of you stink to me'" (68). This shows he doesn't appreciate the discrimination that he receives. I can also agree with him. If I was being discriminated, I would feel really mad. 

That's what I thought about Crooks, and his perspective on the ranch. How do you think Crooks feels?

Comments