Why Does Lennie Spend a Lot of Time With His New Puppy?
So far throughout part 1, 2 and half of part 3 George and Lennie have been through a lot. They have run from the cops as well as recently joining a work ranch. One of the reasons is that I believe Lennie needs a break from reality. The puppy allows him to feel happy and have something to pet. Since he has an intellectual disability he needs something to relieve him of the stress. A smaller reason is that maybe Lennie feels like petting a dog is like petting a rabbit. Lennie always wanted to live the American dream with George and petting a small animal makes him feel that much closer to getting there. Lennie is also trying his best to be gentle and not pet to hard. I also think that Lennie likes the puppies because he feels like he has a family on the farm. Lennie likes the puppies so much that he tried to keep them even though he didn't mean any harm by it. "I didn't mean no harm, George. Honest I didn't. I jus' wanted to pet um' a little" (43). Having someone by his side is important for Lennie and the puppy makes him feel that way. He feels protected and secured. My last reason is that I think Lennie just wants a true honest friend. Puppies are very loyal and playful. Knowing Lennie, he is a playful energetic person, puppies are great for him. Also dogs can't call him stupid or yell at him which is something that Lennie despises. Too me a dog is a crucial thing to Lennie and Lennie needs a break every once in a while, and a dog is a perfect way to do it.
Why do you think Lennie Loves his new puppy so much?
Why do you think Lennie Loves his new puppy so much?
I agree that most likely he enjoys petting and playing with his new puppy so much because of his disability. Lennie says, "Give 'um to me, George. I'll take 'um back. I didn't mean no harm, George. Honest I didn't. I jus' wanted to pet 'um a little" (43). He clearly enjoys just the feel of petting the puppies similar to how he enjoys petting the mouse and how he wants to pet rabbits in the future. I also think another reason is that dogs just listen to him and don't call him dumb. Similar to why so many people enjoy dogs. But Lennie's case is a little bit different do to his disability.
ReplyDelete