Why does Carlson hate Candy's dog so much, and why does Candy want to keep his dog..
A Lot of the first part of part 3 is Carlson and Candy in the bunkhouse talking about Candy's dog. Carlson thinks that he should kill the dog, and put it out of its misery. "Whyn't' you shoot him, Candy? (44)" I think that Carlson wants the dog dead because it stinks up the bunkhouse, and because he feels bad for the animal. In the book Carlson says that they should kill the dog because it "Got no teeth (44)," and the dog can barely move, "He's all stiff with rheumatism. (44)." Candy wants to keep the dog because he has, "had him since he was a pup (44)." I think that we learned a lot from Carlson and Candy during this argument. I learned that Carlson has a strong opinion on things, and is willing to do whatever for what he wants. This leads to his decision to wanting to put the dog out of its misery. I also learned some things about Candy. I learned that Candy is willing to listen to Carlson even though he may not fully agree with what he is saying. Overall, I think that Carlson wanted to kill the dog because it smelled bad and he couldn't sleep with it in the cabin.
Why do you think Carlson wanted to kill the dog?
Why do you think Carlson wanted to kill the dog?
Nice, Tyler!
ReplyDeleteI also believe that Carlson has a problem with Candy's dog. Carlson has been showing his trait of an open-opinion person. He can share his thoughts without knowing the effect of his opinion. Candy seemed really sad that Carlson felt that they should just put the dog out of its misery. I can also tell that Candy was trying to kinda hide his feelings of the animal. He didn't actually show his feelings to Carlson until the dog was already gone. Candy is a sensitive old man, and Carlson misunderstood the impact his comments had on Candy. So to wrap up, I completely agree that Carlson has a strong opinion.
Also to add that Carlson may have good persuasion skills. He persuaded Candy to let his dog, which was with him "since he was a pup" (44), to get shot. So either Carlson has a good persuasion, or Candy listens to everyone although he may not agree.
Good job Tyler!
ReplyDeleteI believe that he hated the dog soo much because everywhere he goes it stinks and it stinks afterwards as well. So as a result he persuaded Candy to let him put it out of its misery. But Candy still really wanted to keep him because he had him since he was a puppy and he was the best sheep dog ever.
I agree and I think carlson hated candys dog was mostly because of the horible smell. Carlson was complaining to candy on not being able to sleep because of the dogs smell and noise. Carlson also said that he was putting him out of his missery because he was so old and was struggleing just to walk.
ReplyDeleteGreat job Tyler!
ReplyDeleteI believe both Slim and Carlson hated the dog because they said the dog stinks up wherever he was. Then, if you recall back to part two when George was talking to Slim and Carlson they were talking about how they needed to get rid of the dog. Carlson and Slim forced Candy to put his dog down sadly, even though Candy still cared for the dog. He later got a new puppy to keep him company, but I think he will still miss his old dog.