Why does Curley pick on Lennie?

In the middle of part 2 Curley was introduced.  Curley is a small fellow who is the bosses son, this gives him a lot of benefits. As we know Lennie is the opposite of a small guy. Although the size differential Curley is still poking the bear asking for a fight. I am still just a little confused about why Curley is picking on the biggest guy at the ranch. My first theory is that Curley just wants to act tough to gain more respect. As a short guy Curley doesn't get much respect, he knows that if he can get on the nerves of the big guy he will be very much respected. Although George told Lennie that if Curley messes with him again, that Lennie needs to sock him. Another reason that I think Curley is trying to pick on Lennie is because he knows that Lennie has an intellectual disability, knowing this makes Lennie an easy vulnerable target for Curley. Curley tries to make Lennie fell as uncomfortable as possible by making him speak and yelling at him when he doesn't answer. To try and make Lennie uncomfortable Curley tries to be the big man saying "Let the big guy talk" (25). He also says his words quickly and sharply to make Lennie feel like he needs to rush or to make him feel like he is saying the wrong thing. Lastly, I think that Curley wants to look like a big strong man in front of his wife. No one else on the ranch has a wife, and Curley knows that he needs to make a statement for his wife. Looking like a wimp in front of his wife isn't an option. Since Lennie is a big guy, to Curley's wife it looks like Curley is the biggest strongest guy on the ranch. Although I wonder what will happen if Lennie and Curley get into a fight, my guess would be that Lennie would crush Curley. Then Curley's wife might start looking at other men.

Does anybody else have any other theories as to why Curley is poking the bear?

Comments

  1. I think that Curly picks on Lennie because he is jealous of his height. Curly knows that he can really do anything he wants. He can kick people off of the ranch, he can do things that are forbidden to other people, he even has a wife. So I think that he is really jealous of Lennies strength and height. As a way to stand up for the little guys he is picking on Lennie and looking for trouble so that he has a reason to kick Lennie off of the ranch. These are the reasons whey I think that Curly is picking on Lenie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really good! you give all you reasons for why you think Curley is so mad at Lennie. I think Curley is so mad at lennie because he is jealous of him and doesn't want any competition with his over his wife. I also have another opinion. Curley might also be mad at Lennie because he might not like him because of his disability and how he look and talks and acts. These are my reasons of why i think Curley doesn't like Lennie and is picking on him.

      Delete

Post a Comment