What did they mean when they said Curley's wife gives people the eye?

They meant that she is looking for other men even though she's married. So, she is cheating on Curley because she is a "tart" according to the old swamper man(. She may be wanting to cheat with Slim, since she has given him "the eye". Slim may be interested in her since he replied "Hi Good lookin'." when she said hi to him outside the bunkhouse (31). Lennie thought Curley's wife was "purty" the first time he saw her in the bunkhouse (32). I think there may be some conflict that develops if Curley's wife give Lennie "the eye". If this happens, I do not think Lennie will be able to resist her advances because he is mentally challenged and not able to comprehend the consequences.

Comments

  1. I like that point of view. I think that this is foreshadowing to a future problem. I mean, Curly's wife cant keep looking at other men and still be someone's wife can she? Curly says he "keeps his hand soft for my wife" but the way the relationship is turning out he might not have a wife in short time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hole thing is nice and i think that if she gets caught cheating with slim i think curly will go crazy and start working people over time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment