Why is Curley Mean to Lennie.

In part two we meet a new character named Curley. I noticed that Curley is trying to pick a fight with Lennie. I think that he is doing this because he is self conscious about his size. "Curley's like a lot of little guys. He hates big guys" (26). "he's mad at em because he ain't a big guy" (26). I think Curley also might be mean to Lennie because he knows he is mentally disabled. Like a lot of bullies now days, Curley is so self conscious about his size, or other things in his life. Therefore, he is mean to Lennie to make Lennie feel bad, and to make himself feel better. Curley might also be mean to Lennie because Curley is the bosses son. Curley may think that he has a lot of power and is the boss of Lennie. Curley probably think that he can do whatever he wants around the farm, and that includes being mean to Lennie. I think that this is foreshadowing a conflict between Lennie and Curley, and that something bad is going to happen.

Comments

  1. I agree that clearly Curley is self-conscious about himself. In the book they describe him as, "calculating and pugnacious" (25). I think he acted very suspicious of both Lennie and George, mainly Lennie's mental disability. I think he knew about it but wasn't telling. In reality, Curley has no power on the farm but acts so. I think that he is trying to make sure that the new guys know that he is powerful and important. I think he is intimidating Lennie in particular. I think that they might get into a fight later on in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you but did you ever think that Curley could just be some bully and is just trying to take the job of the boss. I agree with Daniel at the end when you say that they might get into a fight. I think that they are both scared of each other and neither of them want to pick a fight with one another. Curley is intimidating Lennie but Lennie with his strength is intimidating Curley so I have no idea how this relationship will end up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good observations, Tyler, about Curley feeling inferior to taller man. Curley wants to make a statement that despite his smaller size, he is not scared to fight with a taller, bigger man. If Curley is successful against taller, bigger people, it proves he is stronger and powerful enough to take down a big man. Since Curley has won boxing awards, he feels he can beat bigger men by being fast and being the first on to hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your statement Tyler. I really enjoyed reading it all through. Curley is definitely self-conscious. He is trying to stand up for himself and show other bigger people, that may or may not be out for trouble that he is boss. I also agree with your second statement about Curley. The bossiness of Curley comes out even more when he sees or finds out that Lennie is mentally disabled. Since, Curley was already bossy seeing how big Lennie was he also takes advantage of Lennie's disability. He uses Lennie's disability to fight him, even though Lennie does not want a fight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment