Forms of Leadership
In Part 2 of OMAM, it was very interesting to me to see the types of leadership that appeared. First, I saw the type of leadership that The Boss demonstrated. He demonstrated a more standard form of leadership, being the employer of the workers and the owner of the farm. After some conversation with George and Lennie, he starts to get suspicious of Lennie. I believe that he is pretty smart because he noticed that there was something off with Lennie. He confronted George, questioning him, "Then why don't you let him answer? What you trying to put over?" (22). Clearly, he is in a position to question people as he did George. He seems to be a clever leader and shows his authority. Then there is his son, Curley. I think he is the type of guy who acts like he is the leader but really has no power. He seems to be the person who's trying to find all information possible in order to have power. He also covered his hand with a glove to make sure it is kept soft. I think he is showing off trying to assert his power, assert his leadership. Similar to the Boss, he demands that George, "Let the big guy talk" (25). Although in reality he has no power, I think that Curley believes that he has the same amount of power as the Boss. Then there was the jerkline skinner, Slim. I think he is a leader by example. Like Curley, he doesn't actually have any power on the ranch but still conveys so. Unlike Curley, I think he doesn't force himself into a leadership role. Also, John Steinbeck talks about him as if he was majestic. He describes Slim, saying that he was "the prince of the ranch" (33). He seems like a solid person. I think that he is a nice person. He gave an approving nod to George when he complimented Lennie's field work. It is intriguing to see the types of roles as leaders certain people put themselves into on the farm. Some force there leadership, some do so by example, and some are all out leaders because they have power.
What do you think about the types of leadership represented in Part 2?
What do you think about the types of leadership represented in Part 2?
Hey Daniel,
ReplyDeleteI love your idea of Curley being a guy who is naive to the fact that he has no power. And I completely agree with that, but I would like to propose the fact that Curley is insecure. Curley may act as if he is the leader of all of the employers of the farm, but he has that side to him that shows he acts to impress. In Of Mice and Men they talk about his glove "fulla Vasaline," (27) for his wife. Curley goes around telling people about how he can put on that glove because he doesn't do much work. George and I can agree with one thing about this though. "That's a dirty thing to tell around." (27) Because he goes around freely telling people this, he must not feel "special" enough with telling his business to everyone. He must also think that if his hand isn't soft enough to make his wife love him. His wife doesn't mind staring at Slim, who doesn't have a fancy Vaseline glove. So why should he need to have a Vaseline glove. Oh wait...He feels insecure about himself! But that's just my opinion.
That does make a lot of sense that he would be insecure. That also explains why he bullies Lennie and starts a fight with him.
ReplyDelete